Lets take 5 recipes made by other bloggers and compare their costs, to see what influences a recipe and what tricks we can learn to make our baking even better! Today we look at the most luxurious brownies!
We are looking at 5 brownie recipes that I found on the internet from other bloggers. I wanted to compare the costs to my own recipe ($3.25 / $.13) to see how they compare. I would love to be inspired to make my recipe even better!
Lets meet the contenders!
- Fudge brownies by Two peas & their pod
- World’s best fudgiest brownies by Cafe delites
- Brownie Recipe by Jo Cooks
- Best Brownies by Life made sweeter
- Good Ol’ Homemade Brownies by Buns in my oven
So I analyzed all the ingredients and priced them all out. Luckily brownie recipes are all pretty equally sized so I didn’t need to do any normalizing around servings. So here are the totals for each recipe, and per brownie (based on the yield from the recipe).
- Our Cocoa Brownies: $3.25 / $.13 per brownie
- Fudge brownies: $13.25 / $.55 per brownie
- World’s best fudgiest brownies: $9.28 / $.39 per brownie
- Brownie Recipe: $7.00 / $.29 per brownie
- Best Brownies by Life: $11.06 / $.46 per brownie
- Good Ol’ Homemade Brownies: $13.04 / $.54 per brownie
There are a few things we can look at from these results. First of all compared to the $1 price per brownie that you can normally find, any of these recipes are certainly better than that. But to get into the price differences between each brownie. The biggest factor in the cost of a brownie, is the chocolate. Almost all of the brownies actually use both chocolate chips as well as cocoa powder. Each cup of chocolate chips is around $3.50 so all that chocolate doesn’t come cheap!
I think the chocolate is used to create a gooey melt-y awesome brownie. But I wonder if it would be possible to recreate using large chunks instead of chocolate chips because the increase in size would melt slower. This would allow you to use less chocolate and therefore cut costs.
I’m sure all of these brownies are amazing and can’t wait to try some of them. I think that it’s important to think about the cost of your ingredients especially if it’s to create a texture or flavor that might be easier to create in a different way. If you’ve tried any of these brownies and want to let me know how they are. Please leave a comment!